The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare’s Self Reliance Office

What is the Self Reliance office?

The Self Reliance office is the portion of Idaho Health and Welfare where people can apply for state funded public assistance. State funded public assistance programs include:

Health Care Coverage Medicaid
Child Care Expense Assistance Idaho Child Care Program (ICCP)
Food Stamps
Telephone Assistance Idaho Telecommunications Service Assistance Program (ITSAP)
Nursing Home Care Expense Assistance
Cash Assistance Temporary Assistance for Families in Idaho (TAFI)

The qualification criteria for these programs vary and are not based solely on income. Many different factors are taken into consideration. Because of the various factors, you may qualify for some programs, but not for others. Since it costs nothing to apply for public assistance, apply for any programs you may need. Don’t assume you will not qualify. You won’t know for sure until you apply.

How do I apply for these programs?

To apply for any or all of these programs, you must complete the correct Health and Welfare application(s) for assistance. You can get applications at any Health and Welfare Self Reliance office, you can have applications mailed to you, or you can print applications from the internet. After you have completed your application, simply submit it to the Self Reliance office.

The Self Reliance office has up to 45 days to respond to your application. In some emergency situations, this time limit is shorter. If you are in an emergency situation, be sure to notify Self Reliance of your situation to see if you qualify for expedited qualification. Here is an example of an emergency situation:

If you can answer any of the following questions, “yes,” you may qualify to get Emergency Food Stamps within seven business days of your application date:

Is your income this month less than $150?
Are your assets (cash, savings, checking), less than $100?

Once your application has been reviewed, you will be contacted by the Self Reliance office. If you are accepted into any of the public assistance programs, you will receive details concerning your qualification. If you are denied public assistance, you will receive an explanation as to why you are denied.

What if my application for public assistance is denied?

There are many reasons why an application may be denied. The 2 main reasons are:

Application filled out incorrectly or incompletely
Applicant is over the income or asset limits for the selected programs

If your application is denied you may appeal the decision by means of the Idaho Health and Welfare Fair Hearing process.

Are these the only programs Idaho Department of Health and Welfare offers?

No. These are the programs available through the Self Reliance portion of Idaho Health and Welfare only. Idaho Health and Welfare offers many more services, such as:

Mental health services
Child protection
Adoption and foster care
Child support
Developmental disability services
And more…

Contact the 2-1-1 Idaho CareLine to get the contact information for any Idaho Health and Welfare program, anywhere in the state of Idaho.

How can I learn more about the Self Reliance office programs?

Online, go to:

By phone, you can call the 2-1-1 Idaho CareLine by dialing 2-1-1 or 1-800-926-2588 to get the contact information of your local Self reliance office or any Idaho Health and Welfare office.