National Poison Prevention Week is March 16 - 22 this year. The goal of Poison Prevention Week is to educate people on the dangers of poisoning and to help them prevent poisonings from occurring. Materials are available below for parents, educators and service providers (teachers, child care providers, pharmacists/pharmacy technicians/pharmacy students and WIC representatives).
In 2008, poisoning was the third leading cause of unintentional injury deaths among Idahoans, with children under the age of five being most at risk. It is extremely important for parents of small children to limit their child’s access to medications, cleaning supplies, cosmetics and other items that could pose a danger. For more information on ways to help prevent poisoning please click HERE or on the Mr. Yuk icon.
If you have a poisoning emergency, call the Nebraska Regional Poison and Drug Center toll free at 1-800-222-1222.
Memorize this number; enter it into your cell phone or keep it handy in case of a poisoning.
- Poison Help and Mr. Yuk Stickers and Magnets - These great items signal adults and children that an item is poisonous and keeps the poison hotline number at hand in case of a poison emergency.
- Poison Help DVD - Pinky the Elephant says “Do You Know What a Poison Is?" This informative video reinforces the message to always stop and ask first before touching, tasting, or smelling anything, especially poisons.
Feel free to download and use these materials for personal or educational purposes.
- Preventing Accidental Poisonings in Seniors
- Preventing Accidental Poisonings in Children
- The Most Dangerous Poisons for Children
- Disposal of Unused Medicines
- Poison Help - First Aid for Poisoning (This brochure educates readers on poison prevention tips, as well as first aid for poison.)
- DOs and DON'Ts for Poison Prevention
- Poison Prevention Tips for Pets
- Carbon Monoxide Sheet (English)
- Carbon Monoxide Sheet (Español)
- Idaho WIC Clinics
- Third Grade Teachers
- Daycare Centers and Head Start Programs
- Pharmacists/Pharmacy Technicians/Pharmacy Students
- Presentation Packet Contents
- Presentation Guidelines
- Classroom Lesson Plans
- Editors Fact Sheet
- DVD: Pinky the Elephant says “Do You Know What a Poison Is?”
(Call 2-1-1 or 1-800-926-2588 to order your copy, or email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Poison Prevention Week Letters:
Classroom Presentation Packet:
HELPFUL LINKS FOR POISON PREVENTION:
- IDHW Poison Help 1-800-222-1222 - When accidents happen with chemicals or medicine, Call Poison Help. Get help right away from a nurse, pharmacist or other poison expert.)
- PoisonPrevention.org - This site has great information and materials to prepare for Poison Prevention Week.
- Nebraska Regional Poison Center - This site has great information and material download for professionals wanting to raise awareness and educate on the topic of Poison Prevention.